Monday, September 07, 2009

Even more new photos!

I've been getting some use out of my camera!

This Sunday R and I headed out to Ferrymead Heritage Village. It's very similar to the one we went to in Nelson (where we wrote our Christmas cards in the sun), but sadly lacks an on-site brewery. However, it did have steam trains! On the first Sunday of every month they get the steam trains, trams and electric trolleybuses out and you can ride around on them as much as you like. This Sunday also happened to be Fathers' Day, so we were a little out of place (being the only ones there without kids). But that's never stopped us before, and I don't think it ever will.

The actual village has the usual things like old shops, a church, a schoolroom (which we didn't venture into - wasn't feeling that brave!), but also serves as a home for a substantial array of local societies. We found model railways, with blokes busy making trains run around large models (the ground level of which were usually at my eye-height, making me feel like a child again and really annoying all the actual children who couldn't see a thing), historic aircraft restoration hangars, Christchurch Hansom Cab Society (I love those things - they should be brought back), even an amateur radio station which appeared to be set in 1977 (the DJ was happily reading out news of Elvis' death). All great fun to look around, and a good chance for the societies to recruit new members, I imagine.

Photos are, as ever, on Picasaweb.

No comments: